Your liver, is responsible for hundreds of metabolic processes, including helping you to excrete chemicals, toxins, and old hormones from the body.
For those of us with Endometriosis, detoxing our liver is crucial to our overall health and ability to heal.
Here are our 5 ways to support your natural detoxification pathways:
1. Increase your liver-loving foods and herbs. Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, kale, arugula, Brussels sprouts), beets, lemon, turmeric, artichokes, onions, dandelion greens and ginger.
2. Increase amino acid (protein) intake. Ensure you get enough protein in your diet. Amino acids help support your liver detoxification process. Personally, we use a vegan based protein powder.
3. Hydration. It's the easiest thing you can do to help yourself - drink water! At least 2l per day (we use plastic-free drink bottles to avoid any bi-plastics entering our system).
4. Exercise and sweat regularly. Everyday you should try and do 20 minutes of cardio or exercise. Sweating is a great way to eliminate unwanted metals and toxins in our body. Try infrared saunas if you can't exercise daily.
5. Bowel movements. Increase your dietary fibre, for example, ground flax seeds, psyllium husk, whole grains, beans and legumes, apples, pears, and green leafy vegetables. Make sure you're getting enough omega 3, 6 & 9 in your diet to promote toxin excretion. Increase the probiotic-rich foods in your diet, such as fermented kimchi, sauerkraut, miso, tempeh or natto.
If you're not doing any of the above, your toxins will be building up, making it harder for your body to recuperate. Your immune system will be constantly in over-drive trying to over compensate for your liver which leads to consistent illness.